111 - Papa Don't Teach: Augustine on Language
In On the Teacher and On Christian Doctrine, Augustine argues that language cannot produce knowledge and explains how to interpret Scriptural language.
You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.
• Augustine, Against the Academicians and The Teacher, trans. P. King (Indianapolis: 1995).
• Augustine, On Christian Teaching, trans. R.P.H. Green (Oxford: 2008).
• M.F. Burnyeat, “Wittgenstein and Augustine De Magistro,” Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, supplement volume 61 (1987), 1-24.
• D.W.H. Arnold and P. Bright (eds), De Doctrina Christiana: a Classic of Western Culture (Notre Dame: 1995).
• M. Jordan, “Words and Word: Incarnation and Signification in Augustine’s De Doctrina Christiana,” Augustinian Studies 11 (1980), 175-96.
• R.A. Markus, “Augustine on Signs,” Phronesis 2 (1957), 60-83.