113 - Heaven and Earth: Augustine’s City of God
In his City of God Augustine traces the histories and philosophical underpinnings of two “cities,” one devoted to worldly glory, the other to heavenly bliss.
• Augustine, The City of God Against the Pagans, trans. R.W. Dyson (Cambridge: 1998).
• R. Dodaro, Christ and the Just Society in the Thought of Augustine (Cambridge: 2004).
• R.W. Dyson, St Augustine of Hippo: the Christian Transformation of Political Thought (London: 2005).
• B. Harding, Augustine and Roman Virtue (London: 2008).
• G. O’Daly, Augustine’s City of God: a Reader’s Guide (Oxford: 1999).
• J. Von Heyking, Augustine and Politics as Longing in the World (Columbia: 2001).
• J. Wetzel, Augustine and the Limits of Virtue (Cambridge: 1992).
• J. Wetzel (ed.), Augustine’s City of God: a Critical Guide (Cambridge: 2012).