4. Hide and Seek: The Upanisads
The ancient texts known as the Upaniṣads claim to expose the hidden connections between things, including the self and the world.
• P. Olivelle (trans.), Upaniṣads (Oxford: 1996).
• B. Black, “The Upaniṣads,” in the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
• J. Brereton, “The Upaniṣads,” in W.T. de Bary and I. Bloom (eds), Approaches to the Asian Classics (New York: 1990), 115–35.
• S. Cohen, Text and Authority in the Older Upaniṣads (Leiden: 2008).
• B. Smith, Reflections on Resemblance, Ritual and Religion (New York: 1989).