18. A Tangled Web: the Age of the Sutra
Rival philosophical schools proliferate and subdivide in our second major historical period, the “age of the sūtra.”
• E. Deutsch, “Knowledge and the Tradition Text in Indian Philosophy,” in G.J. Larson and E. Deutsch (eds), Interpreting Across Boundaries: New Essays in Comparative Philosophy (Princeton: 1988), 165-73.
• J. Ganeri and M. Miri, “Sanskrit Philosophical Commentary,” Journal of the Indian Council of Philosophical Research 27 (2010), 187-207.
• D. Krishna, Indian Philosophy: A Counter Perspective (Oxford: 1992).
• B.K. Matilal, “On the Concept of Philosophy in India,” in his Mind, Language and World (Oxford: 2002), ch. 24.
• J.N. Mohanty, Reason and Tradition in Indian Thought (Oxford: 1998).
• A.J. Nicholson, Unifying Hinduism: Philosophy and Identity in Indian Intellectual History (New York: 2010).
• F.M. Müller, Six Systems of Indian Philosophy (London: 1899).