• J.L. Cole (ed.), Freedom’s Witness: The Civil War Correspondence of Henry McNeal Turner (Morgantown: 2013).
• E. Redkey, Respect Black: The Writings and Speeches of Henry McNeal Turner (New York: 1971).
• T. Adeleke, UnAfrican Americans: Nineteenth-Century Black Nationalists and the Civilizing Mission (Lexington: 1998), ch.5.
• S.W. Angell, Bishop Henry McNeal Turner and African-American Religion in the South (Knoxville: 1992).
• S.W. Angell, “Henry McNeal Turner: Conservative? Radical? Or Independent?” in P. Eisenstadt (ed.), Black Conservatism : Essays in Intellectual and Political History, (New York: 1999), 25-50.
• A.E. Johnson, The Forgotten Prophet: Bishop Henry McNeal Turner and the African American Prophetic Tradition (Blue Ridge Summit: 2012).
• A.E. Johnson, “Is the Negro Like Other People? Race, Religion and the Didactic Oratory of Henry McNeal Turner,” in J. Adekunle (ed). Converging Identities: Blackness in the Modern African Diaspora (Durham: 2013), 207-25.
• A.E. Johnson, No Future in This Country: The Prophetic Pessimism of Bishop Henry McNeal Turner (Jackson: 2020).
• A.B. Pinn, “‘Double Consciousness’ in Nineteenth-century Black Nationalism: Reflections on the Teachings of Bishop Henry McNeal Turner,” Journal of Religious Thought 52 (1995), 15-26.
Online resource: the Henry McNeal Turner Project
Tentative list of episodes for Part 3 of Africana Philosophy
I would like to thank both Chike and Peter for their work on 19th century philosophy, since we are so close to the ending in terms of scripted episodes and interviews (I believe you and Chike will have another round of discussion like you did in part 1?).
When will the tentative list of episodes for 20th Century Africana Philosophy be posted?
Add new comment