36. Sons of Africa: Quobna Ottobah Cugoano and Olaudah Equiano
Quobna Ottobah Cugoano and Olaudah Equiano advance the goals of the abolitionist movement through a groundbreaking political treatise and an influential autobiography.
• T. Clarkson and Q.O. Cugoano, Essays on the Slavery and Commerce of the Human Species, ed. M.-A. Smith (Peterborough: 2010).
• Q.O. Cugoano, Thoughts and Sentiments on the Evil of Slavery, ed. V. Carretta (New York: 1999).
• O. Equiano, The Interesting Narrative and Other Writings, rev. ed., ed. V. Carretta (London: 2003).
• A. Bogues, Black Heretics, Black Prophets: Radical Political Intellectuals (New York: 2003), chapter 1.
• V. Carretta, "Olaudah Equiano or Gustavus Vassa? New Light on an Eighteenth-Century Question of Identity," Slavery and Abolition 20 (1999): 96-105.
• V. Carretta, Equiano, the African: Biography of a Self-Made Man (New York: 2006).
• J. Gunn, "Creating a Paradox: Quobna Ottobah Cugoano and the Slave Trade's Violation of the Principles of Christianity, Reason, and Property Ownership," Journal of World History 21 (2010): 629-56.
• R. Hanley, Beyond Slavery and Abolition: Black British Writing, c. 1770-1830 (Cambridge: 2019).
• P. Henry, "Between Hume and Cugoano: Race, Ethnicity and Philosophical Entrapment," Journal of Speculative Philosophy 18 (2004): 129-48.
• M. Hoyle, Cugoano Against Slavery (Hertford: 2015).
• C. Jeffers, “Rights, Race, and the Beginnings of Modern Africana Philosophy,” in P.C. Taylor, L.M. Alcoff, and L. Anderson (eds), The Routledge Companion to the Philosophy of Race (New York: 2017), 127-39.
• F.A. Nussbaum, "Being a Man: Olaudah Equiano," in V. Carretta and P. Gould (eds), Genius in Bondage: Literature of the Early Black Atlantic (Lexington: 2001), 54-71.
• K. Sandiford, Measuring the Moment: Strategies of Protest in Eighteenth-Century Afro-English Writing (Selinsgrove: 1988).
• R. Wheeler, ""Betrayed by Some of My Own Complexion": Cugoano, Abolition, and the Language of Racialism," in Genius in Bondage, 17-38.
• H. Woodard, African-British Writings in the Eighteenth Century: The Politics of Race and Reason (Westport: 1999).
In Our Time: Zong Massacre