7. Richard Parkinson on Egyptian Poetry
Egyptologist Richard Parkinson joins us to talk about the context and meaning of the Eloquent Peasant and other literary works of ancient Egypt.
• R.B. Parkinson, Voices from Ancient Egypt: An Anthology of Middle Kingdom Writings (London: 1991).
• R.B. Parkinson (ed.) The Tale of the Eloquent Peasant (Oxford: 1991).
• R.B. Parkinson, “Literary Form and the Tale of the Eloquent Peasant,” The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 78 (1992), 163-78.
• R.B. Parkinson, The Tale of Sinuhe and Other Ancient Egyptian Poems: 1940-1640 BC (Oxford: 1997).
• R.B. Parkinson, Poetry and Culture in Middle Kingdom Egypt: A Dark Side to Perfection (London: 2002).
• R.B. Parkinson, The Painted Tomb-Chapel of Nebamun (London: 2008).
• R.B. Parkinson, Reading Ancient Egyptian Poetry: Among Other Histories (Chichester: 2009).
• R.B. Parkinson, Hunefer and His Book of the Dead (London: 2010).
• R.B. Parkinson, The Tale of the Eloquent Peasant: A Reader’s Commentary (Hamburg: 2012).
• R.B. Parkinson, A Little Gay History: Desire and Diversity across the World (London: 2013).
Blog post: Giving a Voice to Ancient Egyptian Poetry
Podcast with Barbara Ewing: “The Life of Sinuhe”