247. Onward, Christian Soldiers: Just War Theory
Aquinas follows medieval legal thinkers in defining the conditions under which war may be justified, and proposes his famous doctrine of double effect.
• P. Contamine, War in the Middle Ages, trans. Michael Jones (Oxford: 1992).
• J.T. Johnson, Ideology, Reason and Limitation of War: Religious and Secular Concepts, 1200-1740 (Princeton: 1975).
• J.T. Johnson, The Just War Tradition and the Restraint of War (Princeton: 1981).
• G.M. Reichberg, Thomas Aquinas on War and Peace (Cambridge: 2016).
• F.H. Russell, The Just War in the Middle Ages (Cambridge: 1975).
• J.D. Tooke, The Just War in Aquinas and Grotius (London: SPCK, 1965).
• P.A. Woodward (ed.), The Doctrine of Double Effect (Notre Dame: 2001).
Stanford Encyclopedia: The Doctrine of Double Effect